Saturday, March 30, 2019

I caved.....and another little nugget found.

Yeah yeah yeah......I said I was done for awhile and taking a break and I was truthful about that.  I was struggling though because as I was going through my files and moving things around, I was having to refer to my tree and I kept seeing those danged little shaky leafs!  I got an email about new subscribers getting 50% off a subscription and using a friend's suggestion I called and they honored the discount for me too.  That means I'm good for 6 more months but it doesn't mean I'm going to back to what I had been doing.  I am rather enjoying where I'm at with my searches.  I've gotten all of my digital photos organized and have cleaned up my entire genealogy folder.  I got rid of iCloud because it wasn't working like it was supposed to (although ironically after I deleted some stuff from it the 30 missing gigs of information suddenly appeared - too late Apple).  I am using Google Drive and it is AMAZING!  $2.99/month for 200 gigs and the file structure is just like windows.  It's stupid easy to drag and drop files where I want them.......I love it.  I'm typing this on a laptop I know is actively dying but I'm doing so with the knowledge that all of my files are safely backed up on a thumb drive in my safe and in the cloud, unlike my last hard drive failure.

So what nugget did I find?  I've written a lot about my Comstock ancestry and wrote an entire blog post about my 3rd great-grandmother Barbara Harris Comstock.  In there I referenced that I'd found that she married George Tibbett 28 Feb 1882, almost 8 years after the death of her husband David Barkley Comstock.

Bottom lines (record #170)

I wrote in that previous blog that I could find no record of them together after the marriage, which struck me as odd given that I know where she was between then and her death.  I was poking around at genealogybank.com a few nights ago and there it was, in the Grand Rapids Evening Leader 28 Feb 1884 (exactly 2 years after they married) they divorced.


Thankfully the article is incorrect in stating that she resumed her maiden name of Comstock, since her maiden name was actually Harris.  I wouldn't have found this if they hadn't messed up.

Interestingly, I also found mention of a lawsuit that Barbara was involved in.  There were quite a few mentions of legal filings and then this really lengthy article about her winning her lawsuit in the Grand Rapids Evening Leader 07 Apr 1881.  You will have to zoom in on this to read it but I tried it with my laptop and it does work.

What was particularly interesting to me about this article is that a cousin in California sent me a bunch of photos and in them was this picture of houses that David Barkley Comstock allegedly built.  The article lists clues to a possible location.  All in all, I'm glad I went back through and scoured those papers more.


No comments:

Post a Comment