Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Emil Burke continued

I mentioned in my last blog that there was a lot to blog about regarding Emil and Hilma.  I don't have as many items of Emil's to share as I do of Hilma, but there are still a couple items that are pretty neat.  I also want to share more photos of Emil and even a couple videos of him.





These are notes from a blue notebook that Emil wrote as he studied to become a U.S. citizen.  I didn't know he ever became a citizen so I need to find those documents still.  I don't know when these were written but there were only 48 states at the time, given that he wrote that there were 96 senators.  Other than his signature on the Social Security application from the previous blog, this is the only handwriting of Emil's that I have.

Emil was a cabinet maker and this is a little wooden box that Emil made.  It's only about 10 inches long and about 2 inches high but it's nice to have a piece that he made by hand.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it but someday when I get the room I want to put my genealogy stuff in, it will have a place in the room.



Most of the photos I have of Emil and Hilma came from Paul Burke's daughter Shelly and I got some photos from Mildred Burke Thomas' grandson John.  John has also sent me 2 of the 3 videos I have of them.  Shelly has been a phenomenal genealogy connection (and a great person) who I've met with several times.  I've never met John but he's also been a great contact.  I can't thank either of them enough!



Ashland Wisconsin






My favorite picture of them


Looks like Clark Gable






With brother-in-law Erick Newman






With cousin "Porko"


Sons Carl and Paul, brother-in-law Erick


1948







There are several Burke family group photos - this family loved to get together and photographed many of them.  Many of these photos were in their daughter Ruth's possession and she would send copies that she labeled.  My grandpa was in a few of them so it's nice to see that he stayed in contact with his mom's family.

This photo was probably taken in White Cloud and was provided by Melvin Burke, grandson of Emil's brother Herman.  Back row starting on the right is Elmer Burke, Judith Burke, Carl Burke on car bumper, Paul Burke,  Hilma Burke, Emil Burke, Homer Fry, Edwin Burke, Sophia Burke, Alice Terwilliger Fry , unknown lady, unknown man.  Front row starting on the right is Tura Burke, unknown girl, Herman Burke, Evelyn (Edwin wife) Burke.  In the back row on the left the unknown woman looks similar to a photo I've seen of Hilma's mother's sister Maria - if Emil's brother and his family that wouldn't make sense but......

Left to right (written by Ruth Burke Warren) - Paul Burke, Donald Maynard (Ruth's son), Paul's wife Phyllis, Emil, Hilma, Arnold Burke, Mildred Burke Thomas, Ruth Burke Warren, Ellen Burke Johnson and her husband Charles - behind Arnold his his wife Evelyn Trimmier Burke and their son Arnold Burke Jr.  My grandma and grandpa are behind Ruth.


Al Delora (Jennie Burke's husband), Charles Johnson (Ellen Burke's husband), "Porko", Orville Thomas (Mildred Burke's husband), Carl, Emil and Arnold Burke.

This last photo disappoints me a bit since this was held at my grandpa's aunt Ellen's house, just a few blocks from where my grandparents lived and they aren't in the photo.  I'll have to assume they were busy/out of town and that's why they didn't attend.  Handwriting is again Ruth's.

"Porko" from the photos is Andrew Burk 1875-1949.  He was born Anders Karlsson Porko in Finland, son of Greta Sofia Magdal Lillhonga and her 2nd husband Karl Johan Johansson Porko-Saarukka.  Her 1st husband was Johan Johansson Björk, brother of Emil's mother.  That means they weren't related but the families were obviously close.

This video is from Mildred's grandson John.  Mildred and Orville are helping Emil with the puzzle.

This video was from my grandpa's old films.  I'm not sure who took it since he and my grandma are in it.

The thing that has always struck me about Emil is that he never went gray.  In the 2nd video he's 85-86 years old and still has jet black hair (and even his eyebrows).

Well, that's all I have for Emil - on to Hilma next.

No comments:

Post a Comment