Saturday, May 18, 2019

New document = a bit of new information

This will be a short one as it's an addition/edit to one of my last blogs.  I bit the bullet and ordered the death certificates for the 5 great-grandparents that I was lacking them for.  It's silly that I haven't had them this long since they all died here in Kent County and I work 3 minutes from the Clerk's office but I have them now.  When I'm blogging about these ancestors I'm really analyzing the stuff I do have and trying to figure out what I could be missing.

So I blogged about my great-grandpa Nicholas Korstange on the 12th.  Some of what I wrote about his death was from my dad's recollection.  I wrote he was in the hospital a few days after his accident but the death certificate says it was 2 weeks.  It tells me he died of respitory (sic) failure and that 6 days prior to his death he had a "pulmonary embolus".  

Something that has always struck me as odd with Nicholas got even more odd upon reading this.  His funeral card lists that he was buried at Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens.  Since his obituary didn't list a place of burial I went there and scoured their records but of course, didn't find him there.  My grandpa ended up telling me he was at the church memorial garden.  The death certificate would have led me to believe he was at Rosedale Memorial Park.  I simply don't understand the confusion surrounding his final disposition but to find an official document that's incorrect and a funeral card that's incorrect (but in a different way) is something I've not run into before.

I hate how the county clerk puts it onto a "new" format death certificate instead of just printing a copy of the original but it's what I could get.  I was there once before for my wife's family and I took a photo of one on the microfilm with my cellphone and got my patty slapped.  It's clear they just want to make their money so it's their rules or nothing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment